The following tips are taken from the Learning Assistance Centre, University of Manitoba.
STUDY TIPS FOR TIME MANAGEMENT
1. Study 2-3 hours for every one hour in class.
2. Set priorities and do first things first.
3. Plan 1 hour blocks of time for uninterrupted study.
4. Study during the day when you are at peak efficiency.
5. Take 5 minute study breaks every half hour.
STUDY TIPS FOR NOTE TAKING
1. Read texts to familiarize yourself with new material, new terms and vocabulary.
2. Review your notes prior to each class.
1. Record all main ideas and sub-ideas.
2. Record examples and details.
3. Use your own words and abbreviations.
4. Highlight specialized vocabulary used by the professor.
5. Focus! Listen carefully.
1. Review your notes and clarify information.
2. Note key concepts in the margin and highlight.
STUDY TIPS FOR TEXTBOOKS
1. Preview your chapter.
2. Look over headings and subheadings.
3. Estimate where the content will be challenging.
1. Turn each heading (or subheading) into a question.
2. Read to find the answer.
3. Recite the answer from memory.
4. Jot down notes in the margin of the text using pencil.
1. Highlight the main points only.
2. Review information at the end of each study session.